Pages

Thursday, January 2, 2014

A new year


I finally bought a 2014 calendar today. Two days in and the pickin's were slim, but I found one for 50% off and the small size I like for its designated spot in the kitchen, so it worked out.

Plus, it has inspirational sayings each month.

Which means I kind of already want to punch it.


Having a mood?

Yep. I am.

It's just the winter blahs. I'll get over it soon enough. Each day, the light will stretch a little longer, reminding us the darkness is fleeting. Until then, we slather on lotion and lip balm, sport soft socks, and slip into flannel PJs at 6 p.m. while binge watching season one of Arrow on Netflix.

See? Life ain't so bad in the wintertime.

After all, there's a brand new year upon us and while I'm late to the party as far as marking off the days with a calendar, I am glad to welcome 2014.

The new year holds so much promise. I like watching it unfold in front of me.

[... like season one of Arrow ...]

I don't make resolutions in January. I tend to reflect on my life and its meaning in the world more so around my birthday in the spring than this time of year.

I don't set goals because of a date on the calendar. Instead, I am generally more task centered, conquering what needs to be when/as it needs to be done. December 31 can roll around and I'm not one to be very sentimental or thoughtful about it all.

It usually just marks the need to buy a new calendar.

But, that said, there are some things I have tried to do with more purpose the last few months and want to continue. As I mentioned earlier, the winter blahs have set in and I don't want to lose momentum, allowing temporary meh to distract me and pull me into a full-on wallow.

This is what I am talking about:


Kindness. I can be a real ass sometimes; unintentionally thoughtless. I would find myself thinking, "I really should ..." and then leave it at that. I've been able to ask, "God, what do I need to do?" and then have the courage to do it. Sometimes, it's just a kind word - a compliment - or a gesture, a smile; other times it is more sacrificial. But it is done with an intention of being a help.

Appreciation. I am over being shy about this and now I just say how I feel to whomever, whenever. Thank you. Love you. Accept you. Appreciate you. You rock. My life is better because of you.

[Yes, it can sometimes be awkward for the recipient, but that becomes his or her thing to work on; not mine.]

Asking. Gah. This one is tough. Sometimes, I need help and asking for it comes with great difficulty. I will do better.

Forgiveness. It's the super power we share with God. Letting go of past hurts is a gift we grant to others, but is is also one we give ourselves. And it can be a struggle.

So perhaps I do have a resolution - a goal - after all: to live a life with purpose. It's not just a 2014 thing that began yesterday and will end later this year. It's my life, my gift.

And I want to make it worthy of sharing.






Today is Going to be a Great Day calendar published by Workman Publishing Company. Art by Emily McDowell.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, I'm liking that calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the art. The artist has a great Web site http://www.emilymcdowell.com/ if you are interested in her designs. :)

    ReplyDelete