Pages

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Ready, set ... Fall

"Autumn is a second Spring, when every leaf is a flower." - Albert Camus





Fall is my very own personal gift, wrapped in glorious hues and opened after patiently waiting out the suppression of summer. Its glory is brief: Despite what the calendar tells us, Fall in our neck of the woods tends to shake off the heat of summer later than we'd like and then seemingly turn right around and plunge us into coat-wearing season. You gotta grab on to it while it's here, because it doesn't last long.


While it is here, however, it is like magic ... utterly alluring.



The cool air invigorates me like a sleeping beauty finally getting that princely kiss, awakening my humidity-dulled energy and beckoning me outdoors for hikes and long evening walks.






Fall is also the height of high school marching band season, and so I spend many Saturdays admiring the leaves' transformation along the Interstate as I drive to a host school hours away. I spend my afternoon and evening sitting outside on chilly bleachers, cheering for my son and all those talented kids in the band, slipping off my gloves so the applause is louder and they know I care, support them and am moved by the music they make.

And, on cold, brisk days like yesterday at Semi State, I wrangle those gloves right back on as soon as they leave the field ... before numbness sets in. 



(PS: They are going on to State Finals next week - yay!)

Autumn also pulls me indoors, right to the kitchen. I especially love to cook this time of year, conjuring comfort food of rich flavor. I've been making meatloaf, turkey, pumpkin muffins, banana bread ... filling the house with savory scents. My guys walk in the door and stop to breathe in the redolent aroma of warmed cinnamon. Oh sure, they knew they were at the right house when they pulled in the driveway, but now they know they are home.




My favorite fun holiday is later this week. We go all-out for Halloween. We are that family in the neighborhood, though our creepy-fun decorations are not out yet. We set those up right before the festivities on the 31st because, as much as I love a gorgeous gargoyle, I don't want to look at it on the mantel - and it look back at me - the whole month. I'll share more about our Halloween fun later.




I realize not everyone feels the same way about Fall that I do. It's okay; we can still be friends. I know I cannot convince the Summer lovers to come around to my way of thinking. They get cold. They are sad when the leaves fall. They hate the shorter days. I hear you; really, I do.

Still, I encourage you to take a look around and give Mother Nature her due.

She does amazing work.




No comments:

Post a Comment